Thursday, November 5, 2015

Block 1 --> Block 2

I'm done with exams for 2015! Had my last exam for the first block today. This exam block was on the courses we have been doing for the past 7 weeks - so I had an exam on  Law and Legal Skills, oral exam in English and a vocabulary test for English as well. I was lucky and had the LLS exam last week, so I didn't need to stress about that for long. Monday I had my oral exam and then today the vocab exam. The vocab exam today was multiple choice and one of the easiest exams I've ever had. The exam was digital so we got to know the result straight away and I passed with a good grade. We also got to know the oral exam grade an hour after the exam and passed that also with a good grade. The only thing keeping me from a week vacation in January is the pending grade of the LLS exam. They have 10 days time to correct it and 7 have already passed, so soon I'll know.

There is extra motivation here to pass (and with good grades) as we do not have vacations. However the exams are scheduled so that resits are always the last week of the next exam block (at least in my program). So this technically means that if you pass with good grades and don't need to resit then you are free for a week.

New courses are starting Monday and I'm super existed about them. I have Criminal law and Private law next block. In addition to this I'll have Dutch courses twice a week. Hopefully, I'll get to understand spoken Dutch, I get some written Dutch as there are some similarities with Norwegian and Swedish. I'm hoping that this block more knowledge from past weeks will be useful, as this block we were only introduced to the different fields of law and not much from previous weeks was applicable.

In addition to the schoolwork I do here I also have free time, which I spend with friends here. I have started to get to know more and more people and formed a friend group within law students. Also I'm hoping to get to know more people through the Student Association, NEXUS, I am an active member of. At least this far everyone I've met has been really nice and I've had interesting conversations. My committee is really nice and I get a long really well with all of them, which is a great bonus. Of course I also have friends from the house (or my kitchen to be more specific). Thanks to all of these connections I have formed here, I rarely miss home.

Today was the first time in a really long time that I missed home or more specifically our cabin in Ruka. I was watching Katsomo, Finnish TV-channels online site, and during one show they had an advertisement for Ruka and their catchphrase Lumen jäljet johtaa Rukalle (The path of snow leads to Ruka). This made me want to go so badly skiing and to see proper winter. The last days here have been really foggy and it was a nice change yesterday and today morning that we had a clear sky.

At the moment I find my situation somehow extremely strange that I want to go to Finland to enjoy the snow, while I am listening to proper country music while sitting at my desk in the Netherlands looking outside into the dark and rainy evening. I guess this is what my life is going to be, always desiring to be somewhere else, but still extremely content with life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment